|This congregation was organized on October 9, 1827, with a
charter membership of 41 persons. The first house of worship was
located on what is now a part of the Montgomery County Courthouse
parking lot. In 1853, the present Sanctuary was built, and educational
units were added in 1901, 1927, and 1986, with major renovations carried
out in 1947 and 1975. |
In 1977, as part of the 150th anniversary
of the organizing of the congregation, the Sanctuary unit was
designated a Virginia Landmark and National Historic Landmark.
is a member congregation of the Presbytery of the Peaks, of the Synod
of the Mid-Atlantic, and of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
Don Makin has been with CPC since September of 1996. He is a graduate
of King College (B.A.), Princeton Theological Seminary (M.Div.), and the
Divinity School of Vanderbilt University (D.Min.). Prior to coming to
CPC, he served congregations in Nashville and Collierville, TN. Don and
his wife Jennifer have three children - Dave, Chelsea, and Tommy.
For more detailed information about our church, copies of our award-winning history book, Baptized into One Body: The First 165 Years of Christiansburg Presbyterian Church, by church member Monty Leitch, are available in the church office.
We invite you to become a member of our congregation.
Ministry, Service, and Outreach
our General Assembly (the whole Presbyterian Church working together),
we support a global ministry of preaching, teaching, and healing in
Africa, Asia, South America, Central America, and Mexico. Through
the Synod of the Mid-Atlantic (Virginia, North Carolina, Delaware,
Maryland, and the District of Columbia), 1,450 Presbyterian
congregations support church-related colleges, seminaries, campus
ministries, retirement homes, and homes for children with special needs.
the Presbytery of the Peaks (135 churches bounded by the counties of
Pulaski on the west; Rockbridge and Alleghany on the north; Patrick,
Henry, Pittsylvania, and Halifax on the south; and Prince Edward and
Cumberland on the east), we provide support for some of the smaller
churches, carry on specialized ministry in the cities of Roanoke and
Lynchburg, have a partnership with CELEP in Central America, support
Camp Hat Creek, establish churches in growing areas, and provide the
support base for the ordained church professionals who staff the
churches of the Presbytery.
we are involved in a number of services to persons in need including
the Montgomery County Emergency Assistance Program, the Christiansburg
Ministerial Association Transient Fund, the Women’s Resource Center, the
Valley Interfaith Child Care Center, Habitat for Humanity, the
Christian Aid Clothing Closet, Presbyterian Campus Ministry at Virginia
Tech (Cooper House), the Presbyterian Children’s Home of the Highlands,
the Youth Dental Care Program, the Montgomery County Christmas Store,
the Massanetta Springs Camp and Conference Center, the Sunnyside
Fellowship Fund, and others.
addition, our facilities provide operating or meeting space for the New
River Valley Literacy Volunteers, the United Way, and others.
members are encouraged to be good stewards of the resources and gifts
that God has given to us, and we make this a reality through service in
many volunteer agencies in the county. We are a participating (host)
organization in the SHARE Program that provides food on a monthly basis
in return for a small monetary investment and two hours of community
service for each unit of food.
We are regularly seeking new ways to minister to the needs of the community and to our own members.